Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Al Gore's Letter to Tom Daschle on Crypto

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 1998 19:57:39 -0500

Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1998 16:54:44 -0800
To: telstar () wired com
From: "(--Todd Lappin-->)" <telstar () wired com>

As the vice president writes in this letter to Tom Daschle:

"The Administration believes the best approach is to pursue a good faith
dialogue over the coming months between industry and law enforcement, which
can produce cooperative solutions, rather than seeking to legislate
domestic controls."

Is Gore to be believed? Does this mean the administration oppose S. 909,
the McCain/Kerrey crypto bill?  That it will oppose attempts by FBI
Director Louis Freeh to impose domestic crypto controls?

Or is the VP just blowing smoke to deflect heat in Congress?

We'll know for sure as the crypto debate gathers steam in the weeks ahead.
But in the meantime, it's interesting to see how the White House is
spinning it's crypto stance on Capitol Hill.

--Todd Lappin-->
Associate Editor
WIRED Magazine

THE VICE PRESIDENT
WASHINGTON

                                     March 4, 1998

The Honorable Tom Daschle
Democratic Leader
United States Senate
Washington DC 20510

Dear Tom:

        I want to express my appreciation for your efforts on the vital
issue of encryption.  I share your conviction that resolving the issues
surrounding encryption policy is a critical priority for the United States,
and that we must work together to find common ground.  The Administration
continues to believe in a balanced approach -- promoting the growth of
secure electronic commerce, protecting the public safety and national
security, and enabling the continued technology leadership by US industry.
No sound policy can ignore any of these goals.  The challenge is to find
approaches that support all of them.

        Considerable, encouraging progress has been made over the past year
and a half by relying on industry-led, market based solutions, particularly
in the area of key recovery encryption for stored data.  The Administration
wants to build on this progress by energizing an intensive discussion that
will apply the unparalleled expertise of U.S. industry leaders in
developing innovative solutions that support our national goals.  In
particular, the Administration remains committed to finding ways to
preserve the ability of the Nation's law enforcement community to access,
under strictly defined legal procedures, the plain text of criminally
related communications and stored information.

        The Administration is not wedded to any single technology solution.
The Administration believes the best approach is to pursue a good faith
dialogue over the coming months between industry and law enforcement, which
can produce cooperative solutions, rather than seeking to legislate
domestic controls.  These and other discussions with industry can also
enable the Administration to take additional steps to relax export controls
on encryption products.

        I welcome your support in helping to create an environment
conducive to a productive dialogue between government and industry.

                                        Sincerely,

                                        {signed}

                                        Al Gore