Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Short changing their and our future.

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 17:00:25 -0400

These kids will be in problems 5 years from now when those who dont become Bill Gatelike or dont hit it big in a buyout
(most of them) get technilogically obsolete

Dave

STUDENTS ARE DROPPING OUT, TUNING IN TO INDUSTRY PAYCHECKS -- edupage
Reacting to the increasing numbers of both graduate and undergraduate
computer science students who drop out of school for high-paying jobs in
industry, George Mason University professor and administrator Peter Denning
worries that fundamental research will suffer and says:  "I'm afraid we're
eating our seed corn."  The students may also be hurting their own long-term
interest, and California Polytechnic's James L. Beug explains:  "My fear is
that these kids who haven't finished will last about seven years on the job
market.  If they haven't learned to learn and can't go sideways into
management, what happens to them?"  But the temptation for immediate rewards
is great.  Santa Barbara multimedia lab director Guy Smith says: "Without
wanting to sound hysterical, this is really changing the shape of education
in a fundamental way.  You hear of kids leaving high school and making
almost six figures.  Recently we brought in 30 computer information officers
and asked them about entry-level skills.  I didn't hear the word 'degree'
come up very often."  (New York Times 25 Jun 98)