Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Keynote Speech at IEEE LEOS

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 1998 12:52:16 -0500

 I have placed on my home page

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~farber

the RealAudio encoded file for the keynote speech at LEOS. It was warmly received. Due to a failure of the RA server at
Penn at present it will have to be downloaded and then played. It is 4.6 megs. I hope to have it server based soon.

The published abstract follows

Dave

//(Keynote Speaker)

Predicting the Unpredictable -- The Impact of ALL Optical Networking,
David Farber,
The Alfred Fitler Moore Professor of Telecommunication Systems,
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA

The deployment of all optical networks with all optical switching in the early part of the 21st century will create an
opportunity to rethink our notions of not only computer networks but the whole computer field.

We all understand what the potentials are for the optical networks in enabling new uses for networks and changing their
economics even if "killer applications" are still hazy. It is the impact on the rest of the computer environment that
Prof. Farber will address in his keynote.

How will such networks force fundamental changes in the architecture of computing systems, processors and i/o, and the
structure of operating systems and network protocols? How will the changes to the underlying technology possibly
fundamentally change the structure of the computer industry , the telecommunications industry, and Internet service
providers?