Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Sabre's response

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:35:02 -0500

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 13:55:04 -0400
From: Lenny Foner <foner () media mit edu>
To: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Cc: foner () media mit edu

Someone here pestered them on the phone for a while, and writes:

- - - Begin forwarded message - - -

They finally faxed me their press release, which reads:

"The SABRE Group has always been committed to providing the highest
quality travel information and reservation services to our customers,
which requires us to keep personal information strictly confidential.  We
have long enjoyed a relationship of trust with our customers and will do
nothing to damage that trust.

"We do not sell passenger names or other private information to third
parties without the consent of the passenger, and have no intention of
doing so in the future.  The SABRE Group never releases such information
to anyone other than those service providers named in the reservation who
require it for operational needs.

"In addition, we comply with the spirit and the letter of all existing
privacy regulations in the Unites [sic] States, the European Union, and
the rest of the world, and will continue to do so.  The EU, for example,
require an annual audit of computer reservations systems to ensure
compliance with specific rules prohibiting the disclosure of personal
information concerning passengers.

"We respect and will continue to respect the privacy of our customers and
the travelers whose reservations are made throught the SABRE system."

- - - End forwarded message - - -

So how are these two reports reconciled?