Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Comment from IBM on non trademark IBM'ers view

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 18:45:24 -0500

From: patrick () us ibm com
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 18:31:39 -0500
Subject: Re: IP: IBM'ers view

Dave, please let people know this is not correct.  IBM has not trademarked
e-business.  To the contrary we intentionally wanted anybody and everybody
to use the term (as they have).  The result was the creation of a new
"category".  Consultants are saying IBM is the leader in the new category.
We did trademark the red "e@" symbol but not the name.

John Patrick
Vice President - Internet Technology, IBM Corporation
Email: patrick () us ibm com
Homepage and PGP public key at http://www.ibm.com/patrick

farber/53:06 PM

Please respond to farber () cis upenn edu