Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: RE: The Constitution & The Internet

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 03:43:57 -0400

From: "Alan R. Schwartz" <AlanSchwartz () CapitalValue com>
To: <farber () cis upenn edu>

I could not resist finding this quote from A Man for All Seasons (Robert
Bolt):

More: ...The law, Roper, the law. I know what's legal, not what's right. And
I'll stick to what's legal.

Roper: Then you set man's law above God's!

More: No, far below; but let me draw your attention to a fact - I'm not God.
The currents and eddies of right and wrong, which you find such plain
sailing, I can't navigate. I'm no voyager. But in the thickets of the law,
oh, there I'm a forester.

Roper: ...You'd give the Devil the benefit of law?

More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after
the Devil?

Roper: I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on
you - where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? The country's
planted thick with laws from coast to coast - man's laws, not God's - and if
you cut them down - and you're just the man to do it - d'you really think
you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the
Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake.