Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NATIONAL EMERGENCY DECLARED

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 17:21:06 +0800

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 11:35:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Declan McCullagh <declan () well com>

[Actually, it's just extending the existing one. So the White House can
continue to restrict exports of crypto software like Netscape and
Microsoft's web browsers. --Declan]

        CONTINUATION OF EMERGENCY
        REGARDING EXPORT CONTROL REGULATIONS
        On August 19, 1994, consistent with the authority provided me
under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (50 U.S.C. 1701
et seq.), I issued Executive Order 12924.  In that order, I declared
a national emergency with respect to the unusual and extraordinary
threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the
United States in light of the expiration of the Export Administration
Act of 1979, as amended (50 U.S.C. App. 2401 et seq.).  Because the
Export Administration Act has not been renewed by the Congress, the
national emergency declared on August 19, 1994, must continue in
effect beyond August 19, 1998.  Therefore, in accordance with section
202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am
continuing the national emergency declared in Executive Order 12924.
        This notice shall be published in the Federal Register and
transmitted to the Congress.
        WILLIAM J. CLINTON
        THE WHITE HOUSE,
        August 13, 1998