Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: "Confronting Microsoft" panel at Stanford

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:57:48 +0800

It is a great conference. If I was not in Hong Kong I would be there

Dave

Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 19:08:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: John Wharton <jwharton () netcom com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu
Subject: "Confronting Microsoft" panel at Stanford

Dave--

Forgive the shameless self-promotion here, but it occurs to me that some
of your Silicon Valley readers might like to know about the "Hot Chips"
conference being held at Stanford next week, 8/16 through 8/18.  Hot
Chips is sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on
Microcomputers and Microprocessors; this is the tenth year it's been
held.  A full program and registration information may be found at:

    "http://www.hotchips.org";.

One particularly promising session, if I say so myself, is a rather late
addition to the program, not listed in the early promotional brochures.
This would be a panel session I'm running Monday night, 8/17, from 7:30
until 9:00.  The topic of the panel is "Confronting the Microsoft
Challenge", and I'm quite frankly astounded at the qualifications and
collective experience of the panelists we were able to bring together.

An description of panel goals and panelist qualifications is attached.
I'm sure this is going to be a lot of fun.

  --John Wharton

            Hot Chips Conference, Stanford University
              Monday evening, 8/17, 7:30 until 9:00

Panel:        Confronting the Microsoft Challenge
              ===================================

Moderator:    John Wharton
              Applications Research

As Microsoft broadens the scope of its products and service, it has
begun to face competition (or finds itself under attack, depending on
your perspective) on many fronts, not just in operating systems and
application software, but in internet services, anti-trust litigation,
electronic commerce, and even consumer appliances and high-tech toys.

Linux and Be offer new alternatives to the Windows OS, Netscape and Java
provide OS-independent application platforms, and the Palm Pilot has
established a huge, new, non-Microsoft computing paradigm -- a situation
Redmond seems determined to derail.  Civil lawsuits are being waged by
Sun, Caldera, and others, and antitrust charges have been leveled by the
Department of Justice, the FTC, various states' Attorneys General, and
many -- perhaps most -- foreign governments.  Even consumer advocate
Ralph Nader has now joined the fray, lobbying that the public interest
would be better served by increased competition in the software arena.

Can Microsoft be stopped?  /Should/ it be?  Where, if anywhere, might
the company be vulnerable?  What strategies should its competitors
follow to improve their chance of success?

Monday night's panel will try to address these issues.  The panelists
represent a wealth of experience in the venture capital, business,
legal, and software fields today, and bring with them the lessons
they've learned in trying to deal with Microsoft in the past.

Panelists:     Robert Carr
               Managing Director and Venture Capitalist
               Sofinnova, Inc.
               (former CTO of Go, Inc. and Vice President of Autodesk)
               "Thriving in a Microsoft World"

               Donna Dubinsky
               Cofounder and CEO
               JD Technology, Inc
               (former President and CEO of Palm Computing and
                    Cofounder and Vice President of Claris)

               Ian Feinberg
               Litigation Partner
               Intellectual Property and Technology Group
               Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich
               "Can Antitrust Laws Encourage Innovation While
                    Distinguishing It From and Preventing Predation?"

               Tom Rolander
               Founder and Chief Technical Officer
               PG Soft, Inc.
               (former Director of Engineering, Digital Research Inc.
                    and Project Manager at Novell)
               "Deja Vu All Over Again"

               Bryan Sparks
               Chief Executive Officer