Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Andreessen feature story

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 1998 08:05:00 -0500

From: CommonGnd <CommonGnd () aol com>
:
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 00:50:06 EST
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
:
Subject: Andreessen feature story
:

Dear Dave,

I have been enjoying your listserv group for about a year. It's always
thought-provoking. I'd like to feed something back into the group as well:

I thought you and your readers might enjoy reading the 13 April 98 issue of
Business Week (posted 3 Apr); it has a feature article on Netscape's Marc
Andreessen as well as related stories on Netscape, the Net, Silicon Valley and
more.

The address: www.businessweek.com/premium/15/b3573001.htm

Perhaps even more interesting than the harcopy version's feature article is
the online-edition-only's supplementary interview with Andreessen, which gets
underway as follows:

[Businessweek]  What's the big innovation opportunity that you're engaged in?

[Andreessen]  In 50 years or 100 years, every business and individual on the
planet
is going to be interconnected with a network. We're in the early stages
of building it. The kinds of things that happen and the kinds of
opportunities that open up -- the entire computer industry and
telecommunications industry and media industry are reorienting
themselves toward it. It's a huge technology shift. It's a lot bigger
than anything that came before -- including electricity -- by the time
it's all over.

It's essentially creating a new world that is overlaid on top of the
physical world. It is going to be where most of the very interesting
things that happen in the worlds of business and entertainment and how
we fundamentally live and work and play and learn are going to happen.
It has extremely profound effects. It's deeply interesting from a
technology standpoint and for what a technology company can do. It means
that in our case, [creating] the ranges of software and services that
need to be provided to get all these individuals hooked up and to get
all these businesses hooked up, to get business happening online, and to
make it easy for people to live and work online. Over time, [people
will] be able to network not only personal computers, but a dizzying ar
ray of other devices -- anything with a sliver of silicon is going to be
networked over the next couple of decades.

The opportunities for innovation all spin out of that.... It's not
splitting the atom or discovering a new planet. But it's a huge process
that the entire world will be going through.

Best wishes,

Christopher Bray
Common Ground Communications Inc
Charlotte VT 05445 USA