Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: something to look forward to in politics

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 18:20:36 -0400

At the Gilder gathering I have been told that the following was said

Steve Forbes gave a keynote and when asked after whether he supported
continuing investment in research by the government he said  (paraphrased)

that only defense research should receive government support.

Nothing like winning the cold war and ending up a fifth rate country in the
21 St century but that is where folk like Forbes will get us. (or did we
win the cold war after all, it was a race to national bankruptcy due to
defense spending and we just are taking a bit longer. Guess who will win
after all)