Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: want to yell at people yell at the appropriate boneheads

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 12:36:10 -0400

From: Juan Cabanela <juan () astro spa umn edu>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

David,
   First of all, I apologize if I am forward in calling you 'David', but Mr.
Farber seemed too formal for the discussion being bandied around.  In any
case,
I want to see if I can help people yell at the appropriate boneheads in
Congress
about the mangling of SAFE into something it's own mother wouldn't love (any
word on whether Goodlatte likes SAFE now?)

In any case, here's how I can help, I run a WWW site called "Contacting the
Congress" with one of the most up-to-date and complete databases of
Congressional contact information anywhere.  For one thing, I have a list
of all the members of the House Select Committee on Intelligence, which
is responsible for the mutation of SAFE.  That list is online at

http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/cgi-bin/commpage.cgi?committee=hintelligence

If you have trouble accessing this page directly (some browsers seem to), go
to the Congressional Committees page at

             http://www.visi.com/juan/congress/committees.html

and find the link to the House Select Committee on Intelligence.

You're welcome to promote this as a way for people to quickly tell the members
of House Select Committee on Intelligence just how they feel about SAFE.
However, it may be more effective to each person on this list to follow up
any
email with a ground (snail) mail letter to their House member telling them
just how dangerous this law would be.  It is unfortunate, but true, that
killing
trees seems to give the message a lot more weight (at least in Congress).
                                                        Juan Cabanela

--
Juan Cabanela                 "What's a factor of 10^50 between friends?"
Dept. of Astronomy - U of MN              - Anonymous astronomer