Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: two relevant comments on crypto issue -- This is 1997 but

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 12:37:11 -0400

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Steve Crocker <crocker () cybercash com>
Subject: Revisionist history

Dave,

The new SAFE bill language has a surreal quality.  Suppose this had been
the law of the land for the past several decades.  How many of the Hoover
era FBI crimes, e.g. COINTEL, and how many of the Nixon era crimes would
have been either legal or unnecessary?  I mean "unnecessary" in the sense
that the government would have been able to accomplish the same thing
through more direct means.  Perhaps this will lead to a revision of history
in which Hoover and Nixon are seen as merely ahead of their times.

Steve

Steve Crocker                                   Desk:  +1 703 716 5214
CyberCash, Inc.                                 Main:  +1 703 620 4200
2100 Reston Parkway                             Fax:   +1 703 620 4215
Reston, VA 20191                                crocker () cybercash com