Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: can 40 million Frenchman be right? [from Edupage]

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 14:42:14 -0400

U.S. TELLS WORLD:  GET ON THE NET OR GET LOST
Ira Magaziner, the Clinton Administration's senior advisor for Internet
policy development, told representatives of 21 nations at a high-tech forum
in Amsterdam that the Internet is an engine growth for the world economy and
that the private sector should lead the Net's development:  "We want to come
together with other countries as equal partners, with the private sector
leading and government playing a supporting role.  Our approach is not to
have a trade negotiation.  By 2005, at least 1 billion people will be on the
Internet.  If 40 million Frenchmen aren't there, that's their problem."
(New York Times 7 Oct 97)

"Photons have neither morals or visas"  --  Dave Farber 1996