Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Gads, IBM has it right

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 17:46:31 -0500

GERSTNER TO WALL STREET:  GET ONTO THE NET (from Edupage)
IBM chief executive Louis V. Gerstner Jr. told the attendees of a
conference of security analysts:  "Your entire industry will move to the
Net.  Not just the discounters;  all of you will ... It's going to be a
very bold move for any of the full-service brokers to break with tradition
and throw themselves into direct online trading.  But every day, they have
to listen as their discount cousins tout low rates and 'round-the-clock
access.  I hope we'd all agree that the worst possible answer is to do
nothing."  (Wall Street Journal 7 Nov 97)

"Photons have neither morals nor visas"  --  Dave Farber 1994