Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: latest RANT -- on security from Jock Gill! -- an input

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 12:03:33 -0400

Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 11:27:24 -0400
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com
Subject: IP: Re: latest  RANT -- on security from Jock Gill!

Dave,

Rich Lee, of Novell, and one of the principal authors of the BFG 15 point
security paper, gave me permission to forward this to you.  You may post it
to IP if you wish.

Regards,

Jock

Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 02:06:18 -0600
From: Rich Lee <RILEE () novell com
To: jgill () penfield-gill com
Cc: LO1BE.PHICKE01 () gmeds com, COR.C.H.BEUKEL-VAN-DEN () IS SIMIS COM,
        mlmanheim () nwu edu

Jock,

History has a way of repeating itself.  2% is just about what Novell came up
with several years ago, about 1993, when they did their original surveys on
Class C2. However, every major customer had Class C2 on their qualify list.

However, instead of asking the "security" question, when the customers were
asked, "What three things must the product have or you will not buy it?"
The customers consistently placed security in the top three. Marketing
people need to learn the right lingo for the group they are talking to;
security has at least three distinct publics, perhaps five. When asking
customers about their security needs, I no longer ask a customer what level
of security they want.  Instead asking what type of reliability they need
and accountability they expect...., how much down time they can suffer.

In the end, though, security is going to be part of the product covered by
the sticker price, or the customer will not out-right pay for it.  Not until
a few customers have been taken-out, or nearly taken-out.  That seems to be
history. Woe to the vendor whose product that customer was using

On the other hand we have this e-com thing to handle on the Internet.  Quo
Vadis.
--Rich Lee--

 Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com 05/25/97 09:23PM

Jock Gill
Penfield Gill, Inc.
Boston,  MA
jgill () penfield-gill com