Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Crypto News Flash

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 08 May 1997 12:51:01 -0400

CyberWire Dispatch // Copyright (c) 1997 // May 1997

Jacking in from the "Take My Crypto, Please" port:

Washington, DC--A new anti-crypto bill now floating around Washington
would place restrictions on the import of strong crypto products into the
U.S. and possibly outlaw the use of non-government approved encryption
products.

During a morning briefing at the Capitol,  Sen. Bob Kerry
(D-Neb.), talking about his impending new crypto bill, which he will call
the "Secure Public Interest Act" said that the bill WILL include
IMPORT restrictions on crypto software.

Incredible.  We've heard rumblings the folks behind crypto strangling
efforts would jump to import controls on crypto software if key escrow
weren't widely adopted.

Restricting imports, of course, is a kind of de facto domestic
restriction as well.  It  means that companies can't import strong
foreign made crypto products to use in their worldwide offices, forcing
them to use the govt. mandated weaker crypto products.

Next step:  outlawing some domestic crypto products.

Kerry, when asked if there would be restrictions on private encryption,
said "I don't envision that at the outset, but it might end up in the bill."

Meeks out...