Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Can Snow Crash be built

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 13:54:02 -0400

As you may remember  one of the stops on my trip was the Virtual Humans
conference on LA. I lead a highly successful panel addressing the Question
of can we build a Snow Crash environment at this time with the technology
we have in hand or could refine as a result of attempting a Snow Crash
Metaverse.

We had four speakers addressing the various aspects of the technology. I
summarized my thoughts on the use of satellites in such an enviroment. I
believe the bottom line conclusions were:

1. We could build a modest size snow crash metaverse now. While we could
not handle millions we could handle a significant population.

2. The uses of such a world would be, besides entertainment, education and
business and that  would make it "profitable"

I will be putting up the viewgraphs from the panel within a week and will
announce the location.

******Remember  19 June in San Fran******

Look at http://www.eff.org/fillmore