Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: internet use leveling off from Edupage (Two relies)

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:47:58 -0400

From: hoffman () colette ogsm Vanderbilt Edu
To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave:

This is utter nonsense!  We partnered with GVU on the 7th survey and both
Tom Novak and I were dismayed to see this ridiculous interpretation of some
of GVU's response percentages (not helped by GVU's own misinterpretation of
some of the latest Net surveys).

First, there are more than 30 million people on the Internet worldwide,
(indeed, there are more than 30 million people on the Internet in the UNITED
STATES), second, GVU'ssurvey is not representative and so cannot estimate
the number of users (or anything else) in the population, and finally, GVU's
survey DOES NOT SHOW that new user growth rates are stabilizing at 5% or any
other percentage.

The GVU survey gives us a great description of the more skilled, more
experienced user.  It is not representative of ALL Net users, in experience
levels or demographics, but does give us an exciting window into whata very
important group of Net users are doing and thinking.

We'll be posting the results of our analysis on the Project 2000 Web site by
the end of the summer and I'll be happy to send you the URL when it's ready.

Best,

DLH
~~~
Professor Donna L. Hoffman
hoffman () colette ogsm vanderbilt edu
Owen Graduate School of Management          615-343-6904 voice
Vanderbilt University                       615-343-7177 fax
Nashville, TN 37203                         129.59.210.109 CU-SeeMe

Project 2000:      http://www2000.ogsm.vanderbilt.edu/

The number of new Internet users appears to be stabilizing, with growth
rates hovering at less than 5%, according to a demographics study released
last week by the Georgia Institute of Technology.  According to Tech's
survey, the number of users is now around 30 million -- that's a good bit
lower than Nielsen's recent estimate of 50 million.  "What brought people
online were all the different service providers really gearing up," says a
Tech researcher.  "We don't know whether it will pick up again.  There
hasn't been that much change of the last three surveys."  (Tampa Tribune 16
Jun 97)

******Remember  19 June in San Fran******

Look at http://www.eff.org/fillmore

For this one I must comment that I do not have the time to research each
note I try to use reliable sources. Besides the IP readership does
it for me :-)