Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: AIM Press Release -- a worthwhile comment by Poor Richard

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 21:59:32 -0400

As you can see I was asked to remove attribution but those with a memory
might recognize the person from the name signed.

I am in  sympathy with the writer especially the last paragraph.

"For myself, i simply wish that all parties involved in this fight would
go away. "

To: farber () cis upenn edu

Dave - You can forward this message to IP, but please do not attribute
it to me.

I must confess to becoming increasingly annoyed at the way in which the
IAHC/ISOC responds to their critics.  Empirical evidence suggests that
nearly every response includes an attack of the motivation of the
critic.  Usually this is along the lines of "they're in it for the
money".

To suggest that the IAHC/ISOC occupies the moral high ground in this
problem area is disingenous.  Both on an organization level, and on a
personal level, each and every member of the IAHC stands to profit
significantly in this conflict.  Profit may be defined as enhanced
revenue opportunieis (e.g., consulting fees), being in a position of
power, and so on.

To suggest that the IAHC process was open, is to further abuse a word
which lost all meaning nearly a decade ago.  I didn't see any commercial
representation on the IACH, nor did I see any individual representation.
I did see a lot of representation from the bureaucracy class.

Of course, IAHC/ISOC critics are hardly blameless.  I am confident that
I could compile a long list of their faults too, were I included to do so.

For myself, i simply wish that all parties involved in this fight would
go away.  They could take lessons on civility from members of the US
House of Representatives.  One would have hoped that all parties would
have learned from some of the recent fighting in the IETF over how to
evolve its Network Management technology.  The outcome of that two-year
exercise in incivility was for that industry to calcify, and for many of
the workers, and some of the leaders, to simply opt out for less
contentious pastures.

signed,

poor richard

******Remember  19 June in San Fran******