Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Intelligent Houses

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 1997 20:24:16 -0400

To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: Jock Gill <jgill () penfield-gill com>

Dave,

I hope you will consider posting to IP this note on an issue critical to
all of us.

Thanks,

Jock

-------------------  Intelligent Houses  ------------------

Friends,

One of my clients has asked me to think about life 1,000 years
from now.  What can we say about the way things might be so
far into the future?

It seems perfectly safe to expect that we will not be burning
fossil fuels to make electricity.  Further, it is probably true just
100 years out that all devices will have some form of
'intelligence'.  Likewise, the Internet experience strongly
suggests that all things will be networked and thus dynamically
controllable via the web.  The idea of a 'stand-alone' device, be it
a house, car, or cook stove, will be a curious relic of the late 20th
century.

 How could these changes in conditions change housing?

        1.  Electricity will come from Co-generation systems built
            into each building and the real time energy markets their
            interconnection develops;

        2.  All devices in the house will be have 'intelligence';

        3.  A key aspect of Community becomes the shared, co-
            dependent, network of houses and devices.

Intelligent Houses should have these attributes:

        *  superior housing w/ lower life cycle costs
        *  be insurable
        *  create most of their own electricity
        *  be able to provide a source of clean water

Properly engineered Intelligent Houses could be mass
customized, thus allowing a substantial range of
individualization.

Why should we be thinking about the Intelligent House now?

Consider that currently most 'stick built' houses are dumb, poorly
engineered, and have life cycle costs which are too high while
being energy gluttons.  Today we are, for the most part, building
industrial age relics.  In more than a few states these 'homes' do
not even qualify for insurance.  Can we any longer afford to build
such dinosaurs?

Another question we must ask is: How much longer can we
sustain the current industrial system for generating energy with
very large scale, centralized, carbon burning power plants with
their inefficient distribution grids?

There are a lot of reasons for finding an alternative energy
system:

        Imported oil is bad for economies

        We must reduce greenhouse gases

        Centralized mega plants are national security risks

        Mega plants and their grids are at least 50% inefficient

        Mega plants are hard to site

        Mega plants are capital intensive

        Mega plants may never be NET energy contributors
        if all life cycle energy inputs/outputs are considered

        Mega plants will not be built for the 40% of the
        world's population currently without electricity

        The world's carrying capacity will not support
        a carbon-based solution for bringing the pre-industrial
        world to a post industrial economy.

A further consideration is the likelihood that a 'green' economy is
going to be key to the development of successful and sustainable:

        *   economics
        *   politics
        *   cultures

The first major economy which goes 'green' may well:

* Drive down the price of  oil on the world market - less
  demand for the commodity;

* Dominate the market for 'Green' economy
  infrastructures.

This may have the effect of locking older industrial economies
into their oil dependencies as well as creating barriers, cheap oil,
to their making the transition to 'green'.  'Green' trumps 'Black
Carbon' and leaves it in the dust bin of history.

So what might a few of the features of a green Intelligent House
be?

I envision the scaleable CO-generation at the core of the
Intelligent House as being a mix of photovoltaics, fuel cells,
small gas turbines, small scale hydro, wind ... in locally
appropriate mixes.

The expectation is that in the Intelligent House every energy
consuming device will be web enabled and able to actively
participate in the local real time energy market.  If the price on
the local community network goes above $X, to be individually
determined by each owner, then some, or all of, the units would
shut off and SELL their now released energy to the community.
Below $Y, then the units would turn on.   Of course each device
could have different time and value windows set to determine
their participation in the market.

In this view, each Intelligent House is plugged into all of its
neighbors. The Network is the Community!  Just as with any
network, the more members the more value the network has.  The
Internet and the telephone networks have shown that this increase
in value is a nonlinear function.

In the future,  electric cars, when they are not in use on the road,
will also be plugged into the house/car/community network grid!
Amory Lovins, amongst others, have been thinking about this.
See the work at:   www.rmi.org

Just some ideas I am currently exploring.  Any thoughts?

Regards,

Jock

PS:  An Altavista search on "smart house" yields over 200
references.  In general, these earlier concepts are grid
dependent and do not include Co-generation in the core
design of the solution.

Jock Gill
Penfield Gill, Inc.
Boston,  MA