Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: How to increase corporate productivity overnight...

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 21:11:11 -0400

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 16:05:29 -0400
From: Tim Finin <finin () cs umbc edu>

From: qotd-request () ensu ucalgary ca (Quote of the day)

An item from today's San Jose Mercury News, an interview with Scott
McNealy, Sun Microsystems's CEO.

 Q. How do you see that [corporate culture] changing over the next 15 years;
   is there anything that you definitely would not welcome?

 A. ... We had 12.9 gigabytes of PowerPoint slides on our network. And I
   thought, "What a huge waste of corporate productivity." So we banned
   it.  And we've had three unbelievable record-breaking fiscal quarters
   since we banned PowerPoint. Now, I would argue that every company in
   the world, if it would just ban PowerPoint, would see their earnings
   skyrocket.  Employees would stand around going, "What do I do?  Guess
   I've got to go to work."

Submitted by: Keith Bostic <bostic () bostic com> Aug. 3, 1997
Send quotation submissions to qotd () ensu ucalgary ca
Send list changes or requests to qotd-request () ensu ucalgary ca