Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Yep, It's all the Internet's fault!

From: David Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 14:46:31 -0500

Date: Fri, 04 Apr 97 10:00:57 est
From: "Jonathan I. Ezor" <jezor () newmedialaw com>
To: farber () cis upenn edu

        I've got to admit it: the critics are right.  Just look at all the
horrific things that the Internet has done!  It caused the Black Plague in
the Middle Ages.  It committed The Great Train Robbery.  It steals socks
from laundry rooms worldwide!  Why, before the Internet, there were no such
things as consumer fraud, gambling, chain letters, urban legends, or kids
looking at dirty pictures.  But that's not all--just listen to more recent
crimes committed by the Internet:

--It's made public information about companies available to the whole
world, at little or no cost (http://www.sec.gov/edgarhp.htm)!  Those poor
officers and directors, being subject to public scrutiny by shareholders!

--Consumers can now get direct, unfiltered information about products and
find answers to technical problems, without being allowed to listen to
soothing hold music for hours on end (as in http://info.apple.com).  Those
poor hold music deejays will be out of a job someday!

--Laws, regulations and court decisions are available to anyone (see
http://thomas.loc.gov), and almost every legislator has an e-mail address.
Oh no, more informed citizens and participatory government!  What is this
world coming to?

--An entire new group of people has gone into entrepreneurship, creating
jobs, enhancing productivity and establishing whole business districts in
previously-underused areas of New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles and
other cities!  Oh no, higher wages and lower unemployment--that could mean
a rise in inflation!  See how insidious this Internet thing is?

--Forget about building bombs; the Internet is teaching people how to buy
(http://www.autobytel.com) and fix (http://www.cartalk.com) cars, raise
children (http://www.parentsplace.com and many others), write television
screenplays (http://home.earthlink.net/~lbrody/), and even sell Girl Scout
cookies to a worldwide audience (http://www.ptgirlscouts.org/).  Oh, the
humanities!

        The humanities indeed.  Blaming the Internet for its content is
like blaming the air for allowing a bullet fired by a gun to fly at
dangerous speeds.

        If anyone wants to know about what makes the Internet special and
wonderful as a delivery and creative medium, drop me an e-mail message.
I'll be in my basement, building a Web site using instructions I
downloaded.  {Jonathan}

Jonathan I. Ezor (jezor () newmedialaw com)--Attorney, New Media Group
Davis & Gilbert 1740 Broadway, NY, NY 10019 212-468-4989(v) 212-468-4888(f)
Co-author, "Producing Web Hits" (IDG Books 1997)
For free "Net Gains" e-newsletter, e-mail netgains () newmedialaw com