Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: try to Use AT&T !!!

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 10:37:29 -0500

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 1996 06:31:49 -0800 (PST)
To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: Alan Reiter (via RadioMail) <reiter () radiomail net>
Subject: AT&T WorldNet's problems in Washington, D.C.

After trying several ISPs, I settled on AT&T WorldNet because of its pricing,
customer support, nationwide presence and, I thought, reliability.  Well, the
pricing, customer service and nationwide presence are okay.  As for
reliability....

Two or three months ago it was impossible to access WorldNet's Washington,
D.C.
node for about a week.  After a couple of days I demanded to be able to use
the
1-800 number (which is not free) to access the Internet until the problem was
solved.  AT&T agreed.

A few weeks ago, it was impossible to access the node for several days.  This
time AT&T didn't want to provide a credit for accessing the 1-800 number.  I
guess they've been swamped with disgruntled customers credits.  Also, when I
spoke to a customer support supervisor he (1) said I should call back in a few
days (!) if the node was still unavailable and (2) didn't have the phone
number
of WorldNet's headquarters and didn't even know the city where it was
located.
Maybe I should revise my opinion about WorldNet customer support!

This morning I can access the Web, but the POP3 mail server for Washington,
D.C. is down for "scheduled maintenance," according to an AT&T customer
support
person.  Scheduled maintenance at 9:00 a.m. -- when everyone wants to check
e-mail?  Either WorldNet doesn't know the first thing about scheduling or this
is "unscheduled" scheduled maintenance.  AT&T says I should try to log on in
about an hour.

This also doesn't bode well for the wireless industry (to segue into my
favorite topic!).  AT&T Wireless is pushing hard to promote "smart" phones and
CDPD, especially access to the Internet and intranet using Unwired Planet's
"microbrowser" software.

It's certainly logical that AT&T Wireless would want to team with WorldNet to
offer some sort of bundled wireless/Internet package.  But considering
WorldNet's reliability, at least in my area of the country, I wouldn't
recommend using WorldNet -- especially for any mission critical messages.

Alan A. Reiter
Editor, Wireless Internet & Mobile Computing
reiter () wirelessinternet com
Phone: 301-951-0385