Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: a quick (Not quite ready for prime-time) look at

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 1996 11:55:38 -0500

Date: Mon, 1 Jan 1996 08:27:56 -0800
From: david () kweb com (David Fox)

Happy New Year all,

In preparation for a series of presentations in Jakarta mid-January, I have
spent the past couple of days working through the four major transaction
systems. I've approached the exercise as a new consumer and thought you
might be interested in the outcome.

1a) CYBERCASH. <http://www.cybercash.com>
Downloaded the most recent Mac Client and it installed OK. Appears to have
been cleaned up since the Windows client I set up earlier this year and
all-in-all functions just fine.
I was surprised to see less than two dozen places
<http://www.cybercash.com/merchants/merchant_list.html> to shop with my new
wallet. Oh well, time to line the Virtual Vineyards coffers once again.
Like FedEx, it's a site that shows the technology can work.
Trouble was, my first card bounced (a second one did clear). I called their
800 number and left a message. VV's Robert Olsen called me back today
(better than Netscape - see below) and explained in detail how the problem
was at the acquiring bank end. I think we all know about the issues back in
the rooms run by men in white coats... Seems this time their system was
down for maintenance, and they just reject the card. Now, this doesn't
happen to the big guys like Lands End. They have special arrangements to
keep 'em up all the time. Oh well...

1a) Compuserve Wallet <http://www.compuserve.com>
As with CheckFree (see below), the CompuServe Wallet is licensed version of
CyberCash wallet system. Well, at least it is supposed to be. It was
advertised a few months ago - I have a flyer in hand and there is a link to
CompuServe's page from the Cybercash home page. Only trouble was, I
couldn't find anything what-so-ever about the Compuserve Wallet. Maybe I
was looking in the wrong places? I've sent off a couple of emails, but no
response yet.
Using Digitals new <http://altavist.digital.com> search engine I did locate
a home page at <http://dub-www-svc-10.compuserve.com/wallet/welcome2.html>

1b) CheckFree Wallet <http://www.mc2-csr.com/GiftLink/>
CheckFree put together a Christmas special under the banner of GiftLink.
Attractive home page. Narrow product offering but at least a few "name
brands".

2) DIGICASH/Mark Twain Ecash <http://www.marktwain.com>
I established an real account in October ("monopoly money" trial started a
year ago) and paper work has been sitting in the in-tray since then. Yes.
The paper work. You need to set up an account by downloading many pages,
mailing it off and awaiting their snail mail reply. I downloaded the client
software successfully and began the installation process. I thought my Mac
had hung mid-way through, restarted and went through the same process.
Third time round, memory of the beta sprang forth - it takes time to crunch
the numbers. 3 minutes plus on an 040 machine. Would have been nice to have
received a warning message...
Then I went to spend some new digital dollars using the Digicash merchant
page, only to be rejected by three shops in a row. Ahh, brainwave, these
guys probably aren't set up to take the real Ecash, they're all still in
beta land. (No wonder, MT charges $250 just to establish an account and
takes a couple of $% from consumers to convert $-e-cash then the same back
out to merchants.).
So I went to Mark Twain's page to look for merchants. Too bad. Their server
was unreachable and remains so 36 hours later.
I like the idea of Ecash. I really do. But man alive it's hard work. And I
thought computers were meant to make life easier. This definitely isn't
ready for my father or my sister.

3) FIRST VIRTUAL
Set up a new account (got to build the mileage on that United card). Yes,
it isn't a 2 second process, but then again, it's not that tough either. It
will be better when we don't have to wait 2 hours to establish an account.
Something about instant gratification.
Looking through the InfoHaus merchant list, I was once again found it hard
to spend my money. There's some wierd stuff out there. At least the FV
system worked without a hitch.

4a) SECURE CREDIT CARD: Netscape General Store
<http://home.mcom.com/escapes/galleria.html>
Thought I might take advantage of Netscape's offer of all '96 updates for a
$17.00 fee. This has been on offer for a couple of months, and today was
the last day. Made my selection and landed in the "General Store". I was
greeted by the following:
          The Netscape General Store is temporarily closed for inventory.
          Please check back later.

          We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
          If you wish, you can return to Netscape's home page.

Are these guys for real??? Sheeez@! Can you imagine a major retail store or
mail order catalog advertising a special offer, then closing the store on
the final day of the "sale". The day after maybe...but on the last day!

Even worse, there was no one I could email, no one I could call and not
even a form in which I could leave a message like: "I want to buy, please
let me know when I can...". I did leave a voicemail which will probably be
answered on Tuesday, I guess.

4b) NETSCAPE GALLERIA <http://home.mcom.com/escapes/galleria.html>
Free listing service offered by Netscape to licensees of their server
products. It's interesting to review relatively small number of "commerce
enabled" sites. Take a look.

So there you have it. All round I'd give my day an E for Effort. Flame me
if you will, tell me to get off the soap box if you must. But I have to say
that collectively, we have to do better if we want the internet to be used
as a preferred place/method of purchase. The net works 24 hours a day, 7
days a week, 366 days a year (at least this year). We need to establish
systems and a mindset that supports our work in this environment.

So, just in case any of you are worried all this online shopping stuff
moved so fast in 95, and now you've maybe missed the boat - I'd say the
ship is still in the dock and they're still rounding up the crew!

Happy sailing.

Regards,

David Fox

|                            KnowledgeWeb, Inc.                           |
|                Publishers of The Computer Events Directory              |
|              9 Laurel Place, #7   San Rafael  CA  94901 USA             |
| Tel/Fax: 415 485 5508     email: david () kweb com     http://www.kweb.com |