Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re:Call it "in-your-face-capitalism."

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 06:17:00 -0500

From: [ I deleted name djf]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 00:03:27 -0500
To: farber () central cis upenn edu

There's more to "in your face" than meets  your eye. I
was  tipped off in the early days of Apple when I would
read in the 10-K that motions  were being   put before the
stocholders to f o r g i v e  enormous loans made by the
company to directors and senior officers for construction propjects
on their personal homes, i.e. swimming ppoools, etc.

The same tactics are used in formulating these motions in boardrooms
as were applied in Congress not long in relation to proscribing the
discussion of abortion on the Internet.  I wonder how many shareholders
knew that by ticking the little box on their proxy slips, they were
giving awayt  swimming pools and interest-free loans (loans)?

I would be interested to see the extent to which these practices
took place at the companies you listed.