Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: real source of Poem!!!!

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:38:03 -0500

Date: Sat, 17 Feb 1996 12:31:22 -0500 (EST)
From: NewTechnology Week <ntw () DGS dgsys com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>

Just in case the source of the student's expression wasn't immediately
recognizable, it's a paraphrase of a statement by the German theologian
Martin Niemoeller.

The original:

"In Germany they came first for the  Communists, and I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist. Then they  came for the Jews, and I didn't
speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then  they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't  a trade unionist. Then they came for
the Catholics, and I didn't speak up  because I was a Protestant. Then they
came for me, and by that time no one  was left to speak up."

Having spent a lot of time immersed in the
history of that period, I don't know how generally recognizable that
would have been, so I thought I'd note it. I'm also not sure to what
extent I would endorse the parallel at this point, but I certainly will
think about it. Thanks for including me on your list, by the way. I find
receiving the messages interesting and useful. Best wishes, Ken Jacobson

[ I repeat a quote I often think about. From the Founder of UPenn

 safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."       - Ben Franklin, ~1784

djf]