Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: WSJ Article: Slow Crawl...

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:20:24 -0400

I find it strange that rather than facing the real issues such as how

companies get funded to make the building of a bigger backbone, we are

now in the self denial stage of the business. My general comment is B_ll

Sh_t. I have , over the years been a CB radio posibility worrier and have

so been quoted. But now I see a major maturing of the field. We can and

will build bigger routers and we will be able to carry the load of

millions of XDSL and cable modem users IF there is a way to transfer the

money from the user to the backbone carriers in a fair and profitable

manner.

Dave

Sender: com-priv () lists psi com

From: Jim Browning <<jfbb () atmnet net>

I'm sure most of you have read either the hard copy or online version of

the Wall Street Journal article "Slow Crawl on the Internet"

<<http://interactive5.wsj.com/edition/current/articles/SB8407531839385740

00.htm>.  Having WSJ join in singing the blues will have as much impact

as

anything said to date on the general perception of the business

community.

A few points:

A.  This is the second characterization I've read (a Bob Metcalfe article

being the first, and it likely stimulated the WSJ mention) of Intranets

being somehow a threat to Internet growth, that companies were

*retreating*

behind Intranets.  I see Intranets as an integral part of the network,

extending its utility and usefulness, segregating private and public

traffic, though often over the same basic infrastructure.  The popularity

of Intranets will in fact help keep the Internet growth curve steep.

B.  I was shocked to see this quote from a *Cisco marketing director*:

"If

this isn't addressed, the Internet is going to become the CB radio of the

90's".  Perhaps Cisco's engineers should handle interviews? and the

marketing guys stay behind closed doors?     ;-)     The quote was within

few paragraphs of BBN saying that "You can't just buy a bigger [router]

box, because there *is* no next bigger box".

C.  And then there is ISOC stating they "don't have much influence on

whether Internet backbones are beefed up. Those are business decisions

made

by companies," and some of them "don't have the resources to support the

services they are selling".  This after saying that the Internet is

"probably going to get worse before it gets better".  Is this the way

ISOC

wants to support its member??

My point?   Not only are we struggling with "governance issues"

surrounding

operations, registries, etc.  Our industry needs (and lacks) an

organization which can act as a competent spokesperson.

--

Jim Browning <<jfbb () ATMnet net>

619/643-1802   Fax 619/643-1801