Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Washington Post sending lawyer letters to copyright

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 18:08:39 -0400

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 15:06:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Brock N. Meeks" <brock () well com>
To: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>

Dave--

Here's an interesting little anecdote that you might want to share with
the list.

I broke a story for Campaign Dispatch, my column on Netizen, the HotWired
WEB site covering the election, about how some of the campaign sites were
violating copyright laws.  The biggest violator was Pat Buchanan, some
200 articles put up on his site without copyright permission.  I called
allt he papers to ask if Buchanan's official site had received
permission, none of the papers had given it.

Forbes and Alan Keyes also had "stelen" articles.

However, none of the papers seemed to care, at least I should say their
news departements didn't. No one pickedup on teh story, though I told
them all about it!

Their legal departments, however, were very interested and some
threatened to get right on it with the candidates.

Of all the articles I saw, none were from the W.Post.

--Brock