Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: MOORE'S RULES OF MANAGEMENT

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 21:45:43 -0400

MOORE'S RULES OF MANAGEMENT
Intel co-founder Gordon Moore, author of Moore's Law which predicts that
the power of the silicon chip will double every 18 months and cost half as
much, offers this advice to managers:  1) minimize bureaucracy; 2)
eliminate bottlenecks between the laboratory and the manufacturing plant;
3) raise money before you need it; 4) hold regular one-on-one meetings with
subordinates, letting them control the agenda; 5) don't book revenue until
the product goes from the distributor to the consumer.  As far as Intel's
future goes, he says:  "We want to run ahead and make large complicated
chips and leave the competition behind.  The one thing I've learned over
the years in this business is that you never get well on the old products.
You've got to keep your development work going full bore even through
recessions."  (Forbes 11 Sep 95 p162)