Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: RIPE22: Agenda - on escrow in europe

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 08:32:37 -0400

[ from a well connected IPer djf]

Dave:

Here is a quote from a message I have just received re your IP posting
about this subject, from someone in Brussels whose knowledge and judgement
I trust.

======

This is clearly a case of Chinese whispers, deriving from the Council of
Europe story.

1. The Commission has no established position on these matters at this
point, though this is liklely to change later this
year.

2. There is certainly no plan for the Commission to propose banning anything
 - including private use
of strong key encryption.

3. There are no plans for an EC escrow agency.

4. As for the Council of Europe,
 -   it is not an EU institution
 -   it cannot legislate, just recommend to member governments
 -   the Ross Anderson description of the recent recommendaiotn is
exaggerated. The summary says
     "Measure should be considered to minimise the negative effects of the
use of cryptography
     on the investigation of criminal offenses, without affecting its
legitimate use more than is
     strictly necessary". I am told that the full text is in the same sort
of vein.

5. One thing which IS an issue is whether the US will end up dictating to
Europe on encryption technology and usage.