Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Tokyo report series II -- report from Kobe

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:40:16 +0900

GG and I just got to Kobe after a marvelous time in Beppu.

First some impressions from Kobe. It got badly damaged and the
infrastructure is still a mess. Many buildings are gone or being rebuilt.
Highways are still down and the car bridge to the Port Island is mostly
inoperative - using a temp floating one with a new one under contruction.
While the Monorail works it has a limited reach. Traffic jams are impressive
due to the lack of highways and massive construction. The spirit seems high
among the people.

Prior to Kobe, we were attending the Hyper Network '95 Conference in Beppu
Bay. It is sponsored by the Institute for Hypernetwork Society, COARA (the
local community network group), the Oita Prefecture, NTT, NEC and Fujitsu.
Support was from MITI, MPT and the Ministry of Home Affairs.

From the US was Dave Farber, Howard Rheingold, Harry Saal, Michael Backes
and Michael Hauben (in program order).

The title of this years Conference was "Netizen Revolution" and the RII (
Regional Information Infrastructure"

Some general observations in no particular order.

- the COARA members were young, enthusiastic and a pleasure. Mostly non
computer people who enjoy networking and want more. Their motto was "One
person, one home page"

- There was much "angels on the head of a pin" type discussions re what was
a Netizen etc. Much too much. It made sure nothing of substance was started
even though the community badly needs better communications facilities,
better rates, better access to online info, better understanding about
building distributed communities etc. One must realize that as an American I
am maybe a bit more action oriented and less worried about stepping on toes
than the Japanese but finally I got tired and said " stop!!! enough haze. Do
anything -- you will learn and it is better than doing nothing" There was
actually good response to that call from some young key net people from
Tokyo etc. It was, however, too late to actually  do anything at this meeting.

- I detected a beginning of an attempt to do an "Exon" in Japan. It is far
from where we are in development but several government people commented how
bulletin boards are a major problem since people may say things that upset
others. My guess is without much care we will see a movement to constraint
here also. I used the cry " the barbarians are at the gate" and that sat well.

- Politicians in all countries seem to have the same "vision". They talk
about citizens filling forms out on lime and accessing some records but
really seem not to want a real two way interaction. There are always "many
problems" and then on to another topic.

Final comment. It seems a shame to have all that enthusiasm of the COARA
folk and to leave with a warm feeling for the people of Beppu but no action
plan to help them. Just "lets meet in two years again".

Postscript:. We had marvelous meals. If you get to Japan go to Oita/Beppu!!
The fugu was marvelous and the fish unbelievable. We stayed in a Roikon and
the service, decor and friendliness was only exceeded by great meals. Get
out of Tokyo and meet the Japanese.

Until you get there, look at their home page www.coara.or.jp. You will meet
the people and see the bay from their camera.

More latter

Sayonara

Dave (and GG)