Interesting People mailing list archives

a statement from CMU on the Martin Rimm work. [ I will restrain my

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 1995 22:34:05 -0400

" Carnegie Mellon University is responsible for the integrity of research
conducted at the university.  As a community of scholars, in which truth
and integrity are fundamental, the university generally examines
carefully issues raised concerning the propriety of research conducted
by members of the university community, taking due care to protect the
rights of those members.

        Provost Paul Christiano already has informally sought and received
advice from some faculty members about the study conducted by
undergraduate student Marty Rimm and published by the Georgetown Law
Journal.  He will soon form a committee of distinguished and
knowledgeable faculty to examine in more detail the issues that have
been raised about the study.  The committee will recommend the
appropriate next steps, if any, that should be taken relative to this
study and, if necessary, relative to policies on undergraduate research."