Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: Ominous Sign -- the demise of a great program that has helped

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 18:41:18 -0500

Posted-Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 18:39:53 -0500
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 1995 15:41:09 +0800
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)
From: jwarren () well sf ca us (Jim Warren)
Subject: Re: Ominous Sign -- the demise of a great program
that has helped       computer
 science develop. WHY!!!

We  received a letter From ONR today that begins:

"It is with strong and mixed feelings that I tell you that the Office
of Naval Research (ONR) Graduate Fellowship Program is suspended,
effective with the class of Fellows that would've been selected in 1995."

I hope the letter also explained how much the national defense was being
harmed by the suspension of these Fellows - and stated how much money was
thus made available for balancing the budget and paying down the national
debt.

--jim
Jim Warren, GovAccess moderator; columnist, MicroTimes/Govt.Tech/BoardWatch