Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: First Internet "Strike" Used in France and Italy Protests

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 04:48:33 -0500

From: jwarren () well com (Jim Warren)

First Internet "Strike" Used in France and Italy Protests

[Interesting, though I'm not a great fan of the "comrade" phrasing - that
is much more acceptable in Europe than here in Joe McCarthy's U.S.  Also,
it's not clear to me, from reading this, whether they simply somehow
"picketed" government sites, or may have cracked them - which I consider
*real* uncool as part of anything short of open physical warfare with an
oppressive government.  (Wonder whether this should be envoked in the U.S.
before the national wiretap system is fully deployed, government censorship
is imposed on the net and secure crypto is prohibited - or afterwards ...
if then permitted?)  Also interesting to note that Texas sci fi author
Bruce Sterling was allegedly involved. --jim]