Interesting People mailing list archives

The Networked Economy Conference

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 19:44:03 -0400

Date: Tue, 27 Sep 1994 17:04:47 -0500
From: shaynes () research westlaw com (Steve Haynes)
Subject: The Networked Economy Conference

Dave -

For the IP list if you think appropriate.

Bon mots from The Networked Economy Conference Monday-
Tuesday of this week:

Robert Allen (Chairman of the Board, AT&T), when asked if
the GII or global telecommunications needed a global
regulator:  "I've never met God, but even he couldn't do
that job."

Reed Hundt (Chairman, FCC):  "Universal service is not a
thing of the past; it is a way to link our citizens to the
future."

Hundt:  "Watching [S.] 1822 [the Senate version of
telecommunications reform] go down was like watching _High
Noon_ but seeing Gary Cooper killed."

Bill Gates:  "Email is the killer app for business."

Jim Clark (President, Mosaic Communication):  "With good
security, we will enter the phase on the Internet where one
can conduct commerce.  We are passing through the Internet's
'brochure' phase."

Andy Grove (CEO, Intel):  "It is a myth that construction of
the information superhighway is a finite project.  In fact,
there is no 'end state' to that construction."

Ed Markey (Congressman):  "Change is always hard, especially
when sittng on a comfortable monopoly."

Markey:  "Collapse of efforts to win 1822 approval imperils
technological advance.  It threatens job growth, consumer
choice and investment in new technology."

Grove:  "Asking what the killer app is for the PC is like
asking what the killer app is for the kitchen stove."

Grove:  "Video rental is an $11 billion business, but $3
billion of that are late fees."

Lawrence Ellison (President, Oracle):  "Everyone will have
agents working for them on the Information Superhighway.
When Oracle stock goes down by more than a $1 a share, Ill
be notified ... and so will by cardiologist."

Ellison:  "Build it and they will come.  All we need is a
broadband network; building the endpoint technology is easy.
Oracle has already built lots of it."
MEETING NOTES