Interesting People mailing list archives

European Union launches first WWW server

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 1994 07:34:32 -0400

 I'M (Information Market) - EUROPE : EC (DGXIII/E)  JOINS THE INTERNET

 One of the major challenges confronting us today is, as the Bangemann
 report recently highlighted, the development of a stable information
 infrastructure, an international information superhighway to ensure
 that information can be transmitted quickly and reliably in whatever
 formats are required. The Bangemann report emphasised the crucial
 role that the Internet will play in the new information society.
 DGXIII/E has decided to harness the power of this global network of
 networks to assist in its mission to optimise information awareness
 and promote  the use and exploitation of information products. I'M-
 EUROPE (http://www.echo.lu/), a World Wide Web (WWW) Server was set
 up for this purpose. By joining the Internet, DGXIII/E will make its
 services available to more than 25 million users and contribute to
 the growth of a network which is undergoing a rapid transformation
 from a 20th century academic tool to a 21st century public and
 corporate multimedia network. Plans to increase the Internet's
 ability to accommodate voice, video, broadcast and multimedia traffic
 are currently being discussed.

 I'M-EUROPE makes full use of WWW technology, its graphical user
 interface ensures, that information on the EC is easy to search and
 navigate.

 The services currently offered by I'M EUROPE include:

 *        Up to date information on the European information market
 including details of EC programmes in this domain. A full description
 of the IMPACT programme is included together with the latest call for
 proposals.

 *        Instant access to the full texts of key EC documents, such as
 the Maastricht treaty and the Bangemann report. These documents are
 presented as hypertext documents making it easy to follow a
 particular theme.

 *        Online identification of partners for collaboration in IMPACT-
 funded projects. Interested organisations are invited to use a
 specially designed interactive form to leave details of their
 activities and areas of interest.

 *        Access to the 20 databases available on ECHO via telnet
 sessions. Detailed descriptions of the content and record structure
 of each database are available along with tutorials on the use of
 CCL.

 *        Users may also leave their comments and queries in the
 electronic mailbox. The I'M EUROPE development team welcomes feedback
 on all aspects of the service.

 The team is committed to keeping the contents of I'M EUROPE up to
 date and to developing the services in line with EC(DGXIII/E)
 initiatives.

 Enquiries should be addressed to webmaster () echo lu
  Jesus Bustamante
  Tel. : +352 - 34981223               Email: jesus () echo lu
  Fax : +352 - 34981234                       webmaster () echo lu
  .