Interesting People mailing list archives

Jack Kemp in SF Chronicle

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 11 May 1994 15:46:29 -0400

[ I know many of you are "tired of Clipper" but I have circulated this
because it shows something I saw in DC at the testimony. There is a real
"collition" building between the left - civil liberty and the right wing -
libertarians. While they disagree on all other issues (mostly) they agree
on this one. It is worthwhile thinking about that . djf]

Potholes on the Infobahn
by Jack Kemp

Everyone from Vice President Gore to AT&T trumpets the "coming information age."
In the near future our homes will be linked with our offices, doctors, and
schools.

But if the Clinton administration has its way, all of this will occur under
the watchful eye of the federal government. Rather than allowing the
already burgeoning high-tech economy to create a product shaped by consumer
demands, the administration is using the coming information age as an
excuse to radically expand the role of governent.

The Digital Telephony and Comunications Privacy Improvment Act of 1994
would requre that any technology developed for use by U.S. Ccompanies would
have to permit goverment security and law enforcement services to monitor
calls and electronic mail. The thrust of the bill is: If the government
can't tap it, you can't market or use it.

Proponents advocate these restrictions because they say the new information
age compromises the government's ability to tap into conversatons and
activities of suspected criminals. In reality, the proposals are worthless,
but not harmless.

Only the most inept criminals would use devices that they know are
compromised, but these measures represent an assault on individual liberty.

The information superhighway has the ability to usher in a new age of
productivity and opportunity. It also could give government unprecedented
access to our lives.