Interesting People mailing list archives

mental conflicts

From: David J Farber <farber () radiomail net>
Date: Tue, 10 May 1994 13:22:14 PDT

Yesterday I ran into a fundamental conflict in my mind. I hear plans for
computerizing school and networking that as a step toward improving our
education

Yesterday, I was talking to parents of an eith grade student in a Philadelphia
School. This was a bright student with bright parents. What did  hear.

Physics classes are taught by an English teacher. When the student asked
questions, the teacher took him aside and told him to stop. The teacher did not
know the answers and was tired of being embarased. The teacher needs the extra
salary.

A retired Physics Prof of international fame offered to teach classses at the
high scool. They declined since they did not have any lab equipment and had no
money to buy it.

The primary school has many apple computers but no one to teach anything using
them except wor processing.

OK how is our technolgy going to help in Philadlephia

Really looking for insight

Dave