Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: High-Tech Rumors Hoax sent via e-mail wounds gun-control group

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 20:38:07 -0400

Posted-Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 16:56:07 -0400
Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 13:56:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Brock N. Meeks" <brock () well sf ca us>
Subject: Re: High-Tech Rumors Hoax sent via e-mail wounds gun-control group
To: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
cc: interesting-people mailing list <interesting-people () eff org>

Josh Quittner writes an interesting article about the gun control hoax.
My question:  Where are the online watchdogs?

My own publication, CyberWire Dispatch, tries to take on these types of
issues, these hoaxes, but the Dispatch staff numbers a total of one:  Me.

Josh's article is the first I've heard of the memo.  But if I'd seen it
sooner, I surely would have taken it on, investigated it and sent out a
Dispatch article about it to the Net.  At least this way, there would be
an authoritative counter article "right on the heels" of the hoax message.

But I'm not the only one that's capable of this... there must be
thousands of Internet users that could track down the same information
and put it out there.  Why doesn't more of that type of action take place?

Brock Meeks
CyberWire Dispatch