Interesting People mailing list archives

When will we actually put in the necessary security to stop this stuff .. no FTP-access to SUMEX unt

From: David Farber <>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 1994 12:45:43 -0500

From: werner () rascal ics utexas edu (Werner Uhrig)

        as Gordon Watts already announced in an article posted to the
        programmer, comm, and system newsgroups (see Message-ID
        <gwatts-040394010246 () slip111 fnal gov>) some juvenile got his
        kicks from breaking into SUMEX last night, deleting files
        and directories and depositing kiddie porn, leaving behind
        a pointer to someone's email address (to annoy, no doubt)

        the SUMEX-archives will have to remain unavailable for a while
        (and noone should get upset if the site-admin has more important
        things to do than deal with this kind of crap, and takes his time)
        and, the way I figure it, some bonehead is out there ruining
        the "free ride" for all of us - and I hope that any of you with
        the slightests clue who might have been THAT STUPID will apply
        a little "peer pressure" (where it hurts).

        Just what we needed (after that Italian vigilante buffoon
        with his INIT-943 virus) is a kiddie-porn juvenile (who,
        for all I care, should get taught a lesson  not to mess with
        a public resource like SUMEX by an outraged public).

        And I thought that Olympic figure skating was an embarrassing
        spectacle to watch...
                                        <grumble>