Interesting People mailing list archives

FREE NEW PATENT TITLES MAILING LIST VIA EMAIL

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 18:19:07 -0500

Newsgroups: comp.infosystems
From: srctran () world std com (Gregory Aharonian)
Subject: Internet Patent News Service
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 1994 01:19:09 GMT

                  FREE NEW PATENT TITLES MAILING LIST VIA EMAIL

     I am offering a free service to anyone who can receive email from the
Internet. The service is a weekly mailing of all patents issued by the Patent
Office during the last week (or more specifically, all of the patents listed
in the most recent issue of the USPTO Patent Gazette).  Currently there are
over 800 subscribers around the world.

     For each patent, the patent title and number is listed.  The mailing
consist of three files, each on the average totalling 50K of ASCII text - one
file with the mechanical patents, one file with the chemical patents and one
file with the electronic patents.  I have attached some sample listings to the
end of this message.  With each file there is provided information on how to
order paper and electronic versions of patents.

     If this catches on, I will probably convert this over to a new USENET
group, something like comp.patents.new or the equivalent.  Also, I will be
setting up an anonymous ftp site to store the files being mailed out, as
well as back files.  Until then, I am running only the mailing service.

                      SERVICE IS FREE - FILES UNCOPYRIGHTED

     The service is free, and the files are not copyrighted, so you are free
to do whatever you want with the information.  The mailing-list is open to
anyone on the planet. If this service is of help, a voluntary registration
fee is appreciated.  Given sufficient contributions, I will be able to post
to the Internet and mailing list other patent information, in particular
more information on US patents, such as patent classification and patent
assignee, and brief information on foreign patents (in particular, Japanese
and British).  My goal in the long run is to help coordinate hooking up the
Patent Office's APS system to the Internet, and attach to the Internet CDROM
drives with the CDROMs sold by the Patent Office.

     Occasionally I mail out to the mailing list announcements from the Patent
Office and other tidbits of patent information.  These are short messages.  I
am not affliated with the Patent Office in anyway, nor am I a patent lawyer.

                    TO RECEIVE THE NEW PATENT LISTINGS FILES

     If you are interested in receiving these files, please send to me your
name and postal and email addresses, the words MECHANICAL, CHEMICAL and/or
ELECTRONIC (depending which groups you care to receive), and the words ASCII
or UUZIP (depending on which format you want - UUZIP means you can receive and
UNZIP a UUDECODED file, which are about half the size of the ASCII files).
If you want to receive patent news information (PTO announcements, lawsuit
outcomes), send the word NEWS.
     If you want to receive all of the files, send the word ALL.

     Also, if you don't mind, please include some information on what you do
and how you might use this patent information.  Forward your requests to:

                        patents-request () world std com

     Please pass the word, especially to those not on the Internet or that
don't read USENET.  Patent information is very valuable for finding out what
others are doing, for locating new technologies to license, and to measure
rates of progress in other fields.

     If you have any questions, please contact me at   patents () world std com
and I'll get back.

Gregory Aharonian                                               617-489-3727
Source Translation & Optimization
P.O. Box 404
Belmont, MA 02178                                      patents () world std com

            SAMPLE LIST OF PATENTS AS DISTRIBUTED TO MAILING LIST

5177809  Optical cable having a plurality of light waveguides

5177808  Optical energy beam transmission path structure

5177807  Device for the alignment of an optical fiber and an optoelectronic
         component

5177806  Optical fiber feedthrough

5177805  Optical sensors utilizing multiple reflection

5177804  Waveguide-type optical switch

5177803  Coaxial optical fiber coupler transmitter-receiver apparatus and
         method of making same

5177802  Fingerprint input apparatus

5177801  Cross fader for editing audio signals

5177800  Bar code activated speech synthesizer teaching device

5177799  Speech encoder

5177798  Sound reproducer for high definition television

5177797  Block transformation coding and decoding system with offset block
         division

------- End of Forwarded Message