Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: MCI plans .. abtract of UPI news item -- an illuminating insight

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 1994 10:26:45 -0500

From: farber

        WASHINGTON (UPI) -- MCI Communications Corp. is expected to announce
soon a $1 billion plan to construct local phone networks to cut long-
distance rates.
        MCI has not commented on the plans, but reports have said has been
telling analysts and investors that it plans to install networks in 20
of the largest U.S. cities, including Los Angeles, Chicago, New York and
Atlanta over the next two years.

From: Mort Myerson

this is an outgrowth of the old Western Union right of way for their
cables and conduit.  mort

From: Farber

Fantastic, the ultimate cream skim!!!

From: Myerson

this will be interesting as it will put pressure on the local RBOC's, but
in turn the RBOC's will come into the long distance market. MCI apparently
bought this old portion from WU. I looked at WU when it was for sale. The
easement portion was the only thing I thought was good since it had a
grandfather power older that ATT. It is impossible to get right of way
under NYC etc.