Interesting People mailing list archives

Free E-Mag on Intelligent Computing

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 1994 08:00:28 -0500

B R I E F   R E L E A S E

FREE MAGAZINE

Free, electronic magazine features article summaries on new generation
computer and communications technologies from over 100 trade magazines
and research journals; key U.S. & international daily newspapers, news
weeklies, and business magazines; and, over 100 Internet mailing lists &
USENET groups.  Each issue (10/year) includes listings of forthcoming &
recently published technical books and forthcoming shows & conferences.
Bonus: Exclusive interviews with technology pioneers.  E-mail
subscription requests to: listserv () ucsd edu  (Leave the "Subject" line
blank.)  In the body of the message, type: SUBSCRIBE HOTT-LIST (do not
include first or last names)

* * *  P R E S S   R E L E A S E  * * *  P R E S S   R E L E A S E  * * *

G E N E R A L   R E L E A S E

HOTT -- Hot Off The Tree -- is a FREE monthly (10/year) electronic
magazine featuring the latest advances in computer, communications, and
electronics technologies.  Each issue provides article summaries on
new & emerging technologies, including VR (virtual reality), neural
networks, PDAs (personal digital assistants), GUIs (graphical user
interfaces), intelligent agents, ubiquitous computing, genetic &
evolutionary programming, wireless networks, smart cards, video phones,
set-top boxes, nanotechnology, and massively parallel processing.

Summaries are provided from the following sources:

Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post,
  San Jose Mercury News, Boston Globe, Financial Times (London) ...

Time, Newsweek, U.S. News & World Report ...

Business Week, Forbes, Fortune, The Economist (London), Nikkei Weekly
  (Tokyo), Asian Wall Street Journal (Hong Kong) ...

over 50 trade magazines, including Computerworld, InfoWorld, Datamation,
  Computer Retail Week, Dr. Dobb's Journal, LAN Times, Communications
  Week, PC World, New Media, VAR Business, Midrange Systems, Byte ...

over 50 research journals, including ** ALL ** publications of the IEEE
  Computer and Communications Societies, plus technical journals
  published by AT&T, IBM, Hewlett Packard, Fujitsu, Sharp, NTT, Siemens,
  Philips, GEC ...

over 100 Internet mailing lists & USENET discussion groups ...

plus ...

* listings of forthcoming & recently published technical books;

* listings of forthcoming trade shows & technical conferences; and,

* company advertorials, including CEO perspectives, tips & techniques,
  and new product announcements

BONUS:

Exclusive interviews with technology pioneers ... the first issues
feature interviews with Mark Weiser (head of Xerox PARC's Computer
Science Lab) on ubiquitous computing, Nobel laureate Joshua Lederberg
on the information society, and MCC CEO (and former DARPA director)
Craig Fields on the future of computing

TO REQUEST A FREE SUBSCRIPTION, CAREFULLY FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

Send subscription requests to:
  listserv () ucsd edu

Leave the "Subject" line blank

In the body of the message input:
  SUBSCRIBE HOTT-LIST

If at any time you choose to cancel your subscription input:
  UNSUBSCRIBE HOTT-LIST

Note: Do *not* include first or last names following
      "SUBSCRIBE HOTT-LIST"  or  "UNSUBSCRIBE HOTT-LIST"

The HOTT mailing list is automatically maintained by a computer located
at the University of California at San Diego.  The system automatically
responds to the sender's return path.  Hence, it is necessary to send
subscription requests and cancellations directly to the listserv at UCSD.
(I cannot make modifications to the list ... nor do I have access to the
list.)  For your privacy, please note that the list will not be rented.
If you have problems and require human intervention, contact:
  hott () ucsd edu

The next issue of the reinvented HOTT e-magazine is scheduled for
transmission in February.

Please forward this announcement to friends and colleagues, and post to
your favorite bulletin boards.  Our objective is to disseminate the
highest quality and largest circulation periodical on the Information
Superhighway.

I look forward to serving you as HOTT's new editor.  Thank you.

H O T T   U P D A T E

I've received a steady stream of superb suggestions over the past weeks
regarding the WWW and cross-posting.  In response, I plan to launch a
WWW/Postscript version of HOTT by 4Q 94.  Also, I'll be attempting to
launch a gated version to a USENET group.  We'll probably call it:
         bit.listserv.hott    or    bit.magazines.computing
I'm targeting the first issue for a gated USENET group.  Further details
will be provided in a late January update and the first issue of the
e-mail edition.

For the protection of your privacy, the HOTT mailing list will NEVER be
rented.  However, it has become necessary to seek corporate sponsors to
help defray costs for subscriptions, reprint permissions, and related
expenses (e.g., a new host site -- we're pushing UCSD to its limits!).
But we can't get sponsors unless we have at least 100,000+ subscribers.

Once we launch a USENET group, we'll be recommending that our Internet
subscribers switch to the moderated (and closed) USENET group.
Converting most of our Internet subscribers to a USENET will pose much
less of a strain on our host system, especially when we exceed 250,000
subscribers.  Besides, it's actually easier to read a magazine on a
newsreader than it is by e-mail, but it's a lot harder for me to get
accurate readership numbers.  I'll keep you posted (no pun intended).
BTW, we'll continue to offer an e-mail subscription option for those
without (or with limited) access to USENET.

NEW FEATURES

(Consider the following to be a ** very ** preliminary announcement of
new features I plan to add to HOTT ... but I can't until we get
several sustaining sponsors.)

There are numerous features that I plan to add over the next year.
First, I want to expand trade magazine coverage to over 200 sources,
including at least 30 British trade publications.  Also, I want to
provide summaries of U.S. and U.K. national news programs, i.e., ABC,
CBS, NBC, and BBC.  I'd like to transmit selected full-text features
from The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post, The (London) Financial
Times, and a Japanese English-language daily (plus article summaries
from a few other Japanese English-language dailies; there are a half-
dozen English-language dailies published in Japan).  Eventually, I'd
like to add The New York Times (if I can negotiate a reasonable rate),
The San Jose Mercury News, and The Boston Globe.  And maybe even
Newsbytes and the Japanese English-language equivalent to Newsbytes.
I'm currently negotiating with The Los Angeles Times Syndicate for
Michael Schrage's "Innovation" column (Michael is willing to comp HOTT
on an experimental basis) and I'd like to add a few other syndicated
columns.  And I have several other surprises!

Wish us luck!

BTW, information on HOTT archives will be provided in the first issue.

- --
   *  David Scott Lewis                                                    *
   *  Editor-in-Chief and Book & Video Review Editor                       *
   *  IEEE Engineering Management Review                                   *
   *   (the world's largest circulation "high tech" management journal)    *
   *  Internet address: d.s.lewis () ieee org      Tel: +1 714 662 7037       *
   *  USPS mailing address: POB 18438 / IRVINE CA 92713-8438  USA          *