Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: FCC Regulation -- yet another "forgery" but fun to read

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 03:13:17 -0400

Posted-Date: Thu, 25 Aug 1994 21:55:11 -0400
From: cook () path net (Gordon Cook)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 01:55:00 GMT
To: farber () central cis upenn edu, interesting-people () eff org
Subject: Re: FCC Regulation -- yet another "forgery" but fun to read
Cc: brock () well sf ca us

The following paragraph from this article has a considerable amount of truth
to it:

preparing restrictive regulations to assure "responsible use" of
the Internet.  The FCC is reportedly cooperating with other
national and international agencies to coordinate these
regulations.  Several former eastern bloc countries and Italy are
reportedly coordinating their internal regulation planning with
the FCC.

On July 20th Reed Hundt was in Moscow and gave a speech inviting
the russians to cooperate in al's global information infrastructure....
what the hell that ever is......   Hundt laid down a number of things that
he hoped the Russians would agree to do.  A week later I saw a statement
that the Russians had signed on.

Hundts speech ...about 400 lines long can apparently befound on the
FCC gopher.  At least that is where the person who sent to me said he found
it.  I read hundts speech.  I am convinced that *IT* is genuine.  the rest
of the UPI piece about the licensing seems BOGUS for sure