Interesting People mailing list archives

Some initial numbers for my isdn

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 07:44:25 -0400

Some experiences are now in order . First works like a charm, I am seeing
trivial retransmits.

My Quadra is hooked up as follows:

Quadra via ethernet (10base2) to a conversion hub then ethernet (10baseT)
to a CombiNet 150 (does some compression) connected to the NT1 ISDN. The
other line in the same CO at our New Boulton Vet School near by, has a
Combinet 400 (filtering bridge) connected to the NBC ethernet. This
ethernet is bridged to a T1 which connects to our campus LAN in Philly and
then to our CIS complex and then to a big sparc.

FTP connections yield a delivered data rate to the host of 14.5 kilobytes
per second in either direction

Not bad at all.

Dave

My ISDN connection to my home is now fully funcitional

Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 18:01:41 EDT
From: Ira Winston <ira () central cis upenn edu>

It is now fully operational.  He now has 128 kbit/sec (plus compression)
bridged ethernet over 2 ISDN B channels in his home.  The connection
to PennNet is via New Bolton Center.

Many thanks to all of those who helped with the setup.

It is great. Mosiac is just as good to my eyes as at school over an
appletalk connection. It will change my world a lot -- soon video . Stand
by

By the way, the compression will yield a rate probably times 2 but I will
report soon.

It is great to see it all work AND IT DOES WORK

Dave