Interesting People mailing list archives

Honesty in Government (well sometimes even accidental) Re: September 13,

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 17:37:49 -0500

DAVE:

ANONymous source if you post this.

------------

   "I don't know why anybody would raise a complaint," Irving is
quoted as saying. "Where would they like me to find people for these jobs
who are talented and bright? I cast a broad net. All I can do is hire the
best candidates the White House gives me."

If this is a true quote, then it is very revealing of process.  All he
can do is "hire the best candidates the White House gives me".

Interpretation: the White House either screens all candidates and
gives Irving a list to work from, or anybody he is considering is
first vetted through the White House.

It's Washington as normal and the process is not a state secret, but
neither is it usually mentioned so casually in public statements.  The
man was a bit careless in his phrasing of the sentence.  He would have
been wise to have stopped the final sentence shorter by the last five
words.