Interesting People mailing list archives

some fun -- OverHyped Buzzwords -- From Insight Magazine

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1993 18:13:11 -0400

From: Jim Opfer (via RadioMail) <opfer () radiomail net>

From the November 93 Insight Magazine:

Client-Server:  This ubiquitous phrase has become so diluted that it could
mean anything. A high-tech lawyer recently described himself as a
client-server.

Convergence:  When will we get off thinking technology is the center of the
world?

Cyberpunk, Cyberzene, Cyber-anything:  Mut them on MTV where they belong.

Digital:  Give it the finger.

Downsizing:  An excuse to get rid of your highly paid senior employees and
put in a workforce of "temps".  Also
see reengineering.

Edutainment, infotainment:  These bastardized terms should stay in the closet.

GUI:  Leaves you feeling like you've been coated in honey and staked out
for ants.

Information Superhighway: The malapropism leads you to believe that only
government can fund and conrol anything so massive.

Interactive TV: An oxymoron. If it's interactive, it ain't TV.

Multimedia:  Multi-meaningless redundancy.  Media, by definition, is
already plural.

Next Generation:  A leading candidate for infanticide.  Even Trekkers are
getting tired of it.

Object Oriented Programming (OOP):  This unfortunate acronym should be
programmed to self-destruct.

Paradigm Shifts:  We've had so many of these we're all getting dizzy.

PDA, Personal Communicator, Personal Inellligent Assistant:  When will they
get a name that works?  Some alternative definitions:  Pretty dumb
assumptions, and particularly dubious assumption.

Reengineering:  Too often, a synonym for massive layoffs.  A company is not
a machine with disposable parts.

TQM:  Anything that has to specify the word quality probably isn't.

Virtual Reality:  It's always on the verge, never really there.

Vision:  Those who've got it, do it, Those who don't, talk about it.

Jim