Interesting People mailing list archives

Sri Lankan -- the truth [anonymity requested]

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1993 13:58:51 -0500

"But the story is that when the advance people were here to plan the Sri
Lankan PM's visit, they had a long list of possible ceremonial
"happenings" that could be carried out with Mr. Clinton or Mr. Gore.  As
they and the White House protocol folk went down the list, they found in
each case that at the requested time the Pres or VP was not available, or
the facilities requested for the happening were being used for something
else, or something similar had recently been done with another country, or
something.

Well, they got down near the bottom of the list to "Presentation by the PM
to the President of a baby pygmy elephant" and that was dropped as
"inappropriate".  Next on the list was "Mr. Gore making Internet access
available to Sri Lanka".

So now we know where we in the networking fraternity fit in the larger
scheme of things - somewhere just below a baby pygmy elephant."