Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: The biggest pipe dream of all....

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 03:29:12 -0400

From a contributor

"Jim,

Excuse the pun but Malone's idea of one box and one wire is a pipe
dream at best.

Just wait for the next round of mega mergers/announcements to begin
starting with:

    directTV via satellite dish on your house or on your head (??)

    wireless data and communications (like Metricom or RAM or CDPD)

    services from your local utility company (Entergy)

    broadcast TV - digital no less

In my opinion, the so-called coming boom in home entertainment and
interactive TV will be a huge bust unless the consumer money is there
and convenience is there with things like video on-demand; however; I
think Jim you've totally proven to me that wireless; even with lower
bandwith carriers such as FM; work and work damn effectively for most
business users.  I'm not betting yet on the coming boom of
home-centered entertainment-maniacs all sitting on their butts
enjoying spoon fed, 500 channels of pure shit programming.

Will the average home-owner choose this "out of control" medium over
other choices?  One of the things that really bugs me is that text on
a TV looks like crap and not one of these bozos seems to get that
fact.  I'll take my morning paper over the screen of a TV anyday
unless you get me Display PostScript running at 400 dots per inch on
a perfectly flat screen.  Lots of higher definition display
technology is going to have to become available to convince me that
other than video on-demand or teleconferencing will I really pay the
extra bucks for BA-T box droppings.

I also wonder how much of TCI's currently controlled cable and feed
plants are up to spec to handle high-bandwidth video on-demand as
well as repeating frame relay equipment every other city block for
two-way?  Something doesn't seem right here about how soon all of
this is going to happen?  What ever became of the famous El Cerrito
"video" for idiots experiment that was to determine if interactive
services had a place in the home?

Let's ask Tom Hargadon what he thinks of all of this?"

and

"