Interesting People mailing list archives

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT -- Jackson Community College

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1993 12:38:50 -0400

The following was posted to WORLD distribution on the above newsgroups:

                        COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT

    As a part of our continuing commitment to distance learning at
Jackson Community College, I will be conducting an experimental
course, SOC231--Principles of Sociology (a standard survey course in
introductory sociology) during the winter semester. This course
carries full academic credit, which may be transferred to other
institutions, and will be conducted totally online. Based on
enrollments and the initial response to this course, I may be
offering other courses (including Introduction to Psychology,
Introduction to Political Science, and more advanced courses in these
disciplines) as online sections in the near future as well.

[...]

                          COURSE OUTLINE

    SOC231 is a traditional introductory course in the principles of
sociology. As a survey course, the focus is on introducing the
student to the basic nature of sociology and providing a greater
understanding of both sociology and of society as a whole. A wide
variety of topics will be discussed and examined, ranging from
theoretical perspectives to practical applications. The primary
thrust of the course will be to relate these principles to our
society, and a great deal of time will be spent examining such
problems as poverty, homelessness, the War on Drugs, and issues of
race, sex, and age. Throughout the course, extensive use will be made
of the resources available on the Internet as a learning tool. In
particular, such resources as Usenet newsgroups, mailing lists, and
online archives will be among the primary sources for our studies.

    Grading criteria will be based on active participation, short
essays, projects (often involving the use of Internet resources), and
a term paper. Each element will constitute 25% of the overall grade
and all grading will be on a flat "points accumulated"  basis, rather
than on a class curve. Because of the unique nature of the course,
and the difficulty of insuring impartial testing environments, no
exams will be required. Students will be required to subscribe to
three mailing lists, devoted respectively to student discussions,
informational postings, and class assignments (the latter two lists
will be moderated). Access to these mailing lists will be limited to
students and (in the case of the second list) invited  expert
guests. Once the JCC Internet node is fully implemented additional
resources, including a  virtual society  implemented through an
educational MOO may be made available for student use.

    Further information, including an application for enrollment,
may be obtained by writing me at my email address of
adamsr () umcc umich edu, or by surface mail addressed to:

    Richard A. Adams
    Department of Social Sciences
    McDivitt Hall
    Jackson Community College